Monday, August 20, 2012

Reflections On Week 1

I don't believe there's anything that will greatly hinder my participation in this class.

I can't think of any large learning experience right off the bat, but I do remember watching an interview of the dean of Dartmouth College. During his interview he explains how his father was a very practical man because he was a dentist and his mother was very philosophical because she studied Confucianism and other Asian philosophers. He majored in political science but was greatly scolded by his father for doing so. He learned that he should do something practical with his life so he could help improve the world even if it is very little. He said that as an individual you have a skill whether you are born with it or it is acquired through other means such as education. With this skill you should contribute to improving the world. Doesn't have to be something huge such as curing cancer or stopping global warming but you should use the skills you've acquired to have some impact on the world. This got me thinking that I shouldn't just be trying hard in school just for my benefit and to make a lot of money but to truly contribute to helping the world even if it is just fixing up someone's teeth. This changed the way I thought and how I viewed the value of my life and my skills.

I am very excited to be part of this class and what it going be doing. This innovative way of teaching and running a class I'm very excited to be part of. I look forward to learning how to live life beyond just school in this class. To be self learning and learn new ways of learning. I think this class will prepare me for college and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment