Wednesday, October 24, 2012

To Facebook or Not to Facebook?

When I first started Facebook I thought it was pretty neat. There was a way for you to connect with friends and share your thoughts in such a simple way. I did not see many problems with it at all. Facebook allowed for one to be more socially aware of what is going on with the people around him or her. These of course were my initial thoughts and have changed to some extent. I did not think there were to many risks to using Facebook. It was just a simple social website like Myspace but better. The only risk I thought of was maybe people posting weird pictures of you.

Personally I don't use Facebook that much but by reading the article and the discussions in class I realized that really doesn't matter. Facebook is still able to get my personal information and use it as a marketing tool or whatever. I have turned on my privacy settings to the highest but that still doesn't make me feel secured. Even though random people will not be able to view my personal information Facebook is still able to do so and uses that information for its own purpose. I still think Facebook is a good social site but it seems like now they have other motives besides being a simple social site.

No comments:

Post a Comment