Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Tools That Change the Way We Think



There is usually an upside and a downside when it comes to new innovative inventions. Technology and Internet are no exception as they have both positively and negatively changed and impacted the way I think. An average human's daily routine has greatly been changed just in these past five to ten years. It used to be you would wake up read the morning newspaper but now it's pick up your smartphone or turn on your laptop and walah!

I'm sure this has happened to you as it has to happened me. You have a question and you ask a friend or peer and they reply "Google it". This phrase also comes up during trivial arguments when it is necessary to solve a conflict. All this information stored on the internet, and quickly accessible and pinpointed through search engines has caused us to use it as our own personal answer genie. This of course is great but at the same time bad. Because we rely on the internet for most our answers, we don't really take the effort to learn. What I mean by this is we see the information on the web as something that will always be there so instead of learning it and committing it to memory we just come back to or bookmark the site. This heavy reliance on the internet makes it so we digest so much information in such a short period of time that our brain is unable to commit it to long term memory and instead it becomes information we forget in the next few days. Either that or it makes us lazy because we know we can come back and find the same information again. I have also become accustomed to this way of thinking also. I learn a bunch of information on a particular subject through Wiklapedia and the next day I won't remember a thing.

The upside is pretty obvious. We have a near infinite amount of knowledge of information at our fingertips, literally. Who needs a doctor when we can diagnose our illness through the internet. Even better it tells us how to remedy these illnesses. Whatever you need to know it is usually found on the internet.

Technology has pretty much ruined my concentration. I find myself constantly watching funny youtube videos. I am constantly distracted by all the technology around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment